May 19, 2022
Dissecting the anatomy of headless eCommerce and headless CMS
In this article we dissect the anatomy of headless eCommerce and headless CMS
The future of eCommerce is headless
Technology is constantly changing to meet the evolving needs of brands and their customers. Companies want to create intuitive experiences using easy-to-use ecosystems that allow them to personalize their products and meet the demands of their customers. The answer is headless architecture. Its exponential growth is a reflection of its ability to meet the requirements of customization and personalization, while also positively impacting a company’s bottom line. Read on to learn more about the benefits of using headless architecture in your eCommerce and CMS platforms.
What is headless architecture?
Headless architecture is the meeting point between the front-end and the back-end of a platform where the content and the functional layer splits. It is the separation between the data management and the data orchestration. Headless architecture wraps the business logic in APIs, powered by the backend, based on the specific needs of the front-end channels. In other words, headless architecture allows you to update and customize the user experience quickly and efficiently on all of your digital assets without compromising performance.
Unleashing the power of these API-first business platforms, headless CMS and headless eCommerce, makes it possible to customize and deliver content that meets the needs of your customers.
Cash in with headless eCommerce
Headless eCommerce models allow you to create customized and personalized experiences that your customers expect on the digital devices they use. It enables you to create and update these experiences on the front-end, while controlling everything from a single back-end.
What headless eCommerce brings to the table?
- Headless eCommerce future-proof your business to grow along with you, allowing faster implementations of new features by the time you need them. This process avoids you having to build a new site from scratch every time you wanna add new functionalities.
- Choosing headless allows you to bring to life out-of-the-box ideas while putting at the tip of your fingers the flexibility to trespass the limits of any technology through APIs.
- Headless eCommerce CMS grants effective marketing processes without damaging the backend.
How does headless eCommerce work?
- Headless eCommerce platforms connect to other platforms using APIs to push data or content.
- Headless eCommerce platforms split the UX (related to the front-end) from the business thinking (related to the back-end) which allows developers to apply the APIs to whatever experience they want, adding extra functionalities to the platforms.
What is a headless CMS? Why should you consider it?
- Content is the fuel of digital experiences. As a company grows and starts producing more content and channels, managing that content becomes slower and more cumbersome using a traditional CMS.
- Headless separates data from its presentation. That means you can completely change the look & feel without losing content or data. This is not possible with a traditional CMS.
- Create once and publish everywhere. With a headless CMS, you're able to create content in one integrated platform with hundreds of tools through an editor, which is delivered via APIs. This method allows developers to build quickly; and it allows content creators to automate changes, creating a faster, more efficient collaboration between them. Headless CMS is a great alternative to build and deliver digital experiences displayed to every kind of digital device.
- Content structure is one of the pillars for headless CMS. Since the content becomes centralized, you no longer have to waste time copying and pasting content over and over again on all of your many platforms. Creating a clear plan for the information removes the repetition, improves brand recognition and creates more possibilities for reusing that content.
Headless eCommerce and headless CMS just make sense
I went headless, now what?
- Enjoy the many benefits of using headless architecture. Headless ecosystems have scalable pricing models, are flexible, and make the implementation of new features easier. By mixing them, your business can use the content of a headless CMS and access the products of a headless eCommerce database.
- Unleashing the power of these API-first business platforms, headless CMS and headless eCommerce, makes it possible to customize and deliver content that meets the needs of your customers.
Expresia is much more than your ally for headless CMS and headless eCommerce
Built for flexibility, Expresia headless CMS allows users to separate content from its front-end rendering. The CMS gives you the freedom to use it on multiple touchpoints in order to achieve a fully omnichannel experience.
Our DXP uses AWS infrastructure, which ensures security and safety. Taking flexibility a step further, our Content Playlists allow contributors to easily customize the look and feel of the content without the help of developers. The Content Playlists also simplify the organization of content into manageable groups that can be used in multiple places and in many variations to quickly populate a site. This empowers the whole team to create beautiful and performant results.
To learn more about headless architecture and how it can be applied to your business, read our case study about online food delivery service FromTo. FromTo is an API-driven headless eCommerce platform where you can manage unlimited products, product variants, inventories, multiple warehouses, logistics providers integrations as well as integrations with Business process management software (ERP, WMS, etc.). Find out how we built them a fully connected ecosystem that features mobile apps for drivers, central dashboards for order management and customized restaurant order management control panels.